CALL: 063 349 2361

Claiming from the Road Accident Fund can be a complex and technical process. At Ehlers Attorneys, we handle claims for people from all walks of life, all over South Africa and we receive queries regarding the process every day.

Here we answer some of the most frequently asked questions from individuals wishing to claim from the Road Accident Fund. If you have any other questions you’d like to ask us, please get in touch with our New Claims Department on 012 643 1652, or email

Road Accident Fund Claims: 7 Questions Answered

1. When should I claim from the Road Accident Fund?
It is important to contact us as soon as possible after the accident. This provides us with the best opportunity to investigate your accident and obtain all the necessary documentation which will include the police and medical reports we need for the road accident fund claim process. With the passing of time, it becomes more and more difficult to obtain the relevant documentation, which is often sent to the archives of institutions or misplaced.

2. How long do I have to claim?
You have three years to lodge a claim with the Road Accident Fund from the date of the accident. If one of the vehicles involved is unidentified, this period decreases to two years.

3. How long does the claim process take?
The period can vary depending on when a court date is set. Once a claim has been submitted it can take 3 years or more to receive a payout. At Ehlers Attorneys we will endeavour to finalise your road accident fund claim in the shortest possible time. We understand the frustration of the court process, as well as the fact that a person who has suffered serious injuries may not be able to work or may need medical treatment which is not provided at government hospitals.

4. Can I lodge a claim for a minor?
A parent can lodge a road accident fund claim on behalf of the minor until the minor turns 18. A minor has a period of three years to lodge a claim once the minor has turned 18, unless one of the vehicles was unidentified, in which case the two-year prescription period still applies. The two year prescription period applies to a minor from the date of accident, not from when the minor turns 18 when the vehicle is unidentified.

5. Why should I use Ehlers Attorneys to claim from the Road Accident Fund?
The claims process can be complex and technical. Therefore, an attorney who specialises in personal injury claims will have the knowledge and many years of experience to assist you and ensure the most accurate and favourable settlement. Claimants who make use of an attorney to claim from the Road Accident Fund receive much higher awards than those who try and claim from the Road Accident Fund themselves. We can provide you with many actual examples of this.

• Ehlers Attorneys will negotiate on your behalf and will always act in your best interests
• At Ehlers Attorneys, we have a dedicated Road Accident Fund Claims Department consisting of highly experienced investigators and attorneys who will be able to negotiate the best claim for you
• Have a look at some of our successfully finalised claims, some up to R9 000 000.
• Ehlers Attorneys works on a “no win, no fee” basis. No fee will be payable unless we succeed with your claim

To find out if you qualify for a claim, simply fill in our assessment form and one of our staff members will contact you within 24 hours.